When workout motivation fails, it can be tough to find the energy and drive to get moving. However, there are several things you can do to help yourself get back on track and stay motivated:
- Reconnect with your "why": Remind yourself of the reasons you started exercising in the first place. Maybe you wanted to improve your health, gain strength, or lose weight. Whatever your reasons, reconnecting with them can help reignite your motivation.
- Set smaller goals: Instead of focusing on a big, long-term goal, try setting smaller, achievable goals. This can help you feel more accomplished and motivated to keep going.
- Change up your routine: Doing the same workout day after day can get boring and lead to a lack of motivation. Try mixing up your routine by trying new exercises, changing the order of your workout, or adding a new challenge.
- Find a workout buddy: Having someone to exercise with can be a great motivator. Not only can they hold you accountable, but they can also provide encouragement and support.
- Reward yourself: Set up a system of rewards for reaching your goals. Whether it's treating yourself to a new workout outfit, a massage, or a favorite meal, having something to look forward to can be a powerful motivator.
- Take a break: Sometimes, taking a break from your routine can actually be beneficial. It can give your body a chance to rest and recover, and can also help you come back to your workouts feeling refreshed and re-energized.
- Remember, everyone experiences a lack of motivation at times. The key is to not give up and to keep pushing yourself to stay active and healthy.
When you ARE motivated, we have tips to make the most progress in your athletic performance goals:
- Strike when the irons are hot: These are the best times to push yourself during your workouts. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself and go for personal records.
- Work on new techniques/workouts and force yourself to step outside of your normal workout routine.
- Set harder goals for yourself. Now’s the time to take advantage of your motivation.
- If you find yourself losing motivation. Go back to the basics and follow the steps listed above.